Southampton CEO directs ire at Leeds as record-breaking £200m claim emerges

Southampton say the decision to kick them out of the Championship play-offs over the 'Spygate' scandal is “plainly disproportionate” to any other punishment handed down in the history of the English game.
The independent commission handed down the punishment – and four points for next season – after the club admitted three espionage charges, including one relating to watching the training of semi-final rivals Middlesbrough earlier this month.
The commission also reinstated Boro, denying Southampton a shot at the Premier League for at least £200million.
Saints chief executive Phil Parsons confirmed they were against the ban and, while apologizing to fans for the behavior of club staff, the club insisted the punishment was too harsh.
“The commissioner had the right to impose sanctions. We did not, we would argue, have the authority to impose sanctions that are inconsistent with all previous sanctions in the history of the English game,” said Parsons, according to Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie.
“We believe the financial impact of yesterday's decision makes it, by a very long way, the largest fine ever imposed on an English football club.”
The league's arbitration panel will hear Southampton's appeal on Wednesday afternoon, with the outcome expected to be announced later in the day or on Thursday.

Southampton put the plan in place immediately after Middlesbrough's decision as the legal team went into action
Tonda Eckert can also go.
Parsons said the club had been “denied the opportunity to compete in a game that costs more than £200million and means a lot to our staff, players and supporters”.
He added that Leeds were fined £200,000 for a similar offence, and added: “Luton Town's 30-point deduction in 2008-09 – by far the heaviest sporting penalty in the English game – was levied on a club already in League Two, with no comparable money at stake.
“Derby County's 21-point relegation in 2021 cost them a Championship place. Everton's six-point relegation in 2023-24 followed a loss of £124.5million, a figure dwarfed by that taken from Southampton in one afternoon.
“The biggest financial penalty ever received by the Premier League, against Chelsea in March this year, was £10.75million, and was consistent with no sporting fines despite including £47.5million in undisclosed payments over seven years.
“We are saying this to reduce what happened in this club, which we have admitted was wrong. We are saying it because moderation is a principle of natural justice.”
Parsons said what the club had done was “wrong” and said Southampton was “apologising” to the other clubs involved, “and above all to the Southampton fans, their extraordinary loyalty and support this season deserves the best from the club”.
Spygate's timeline and final gameplay delay explained
Southampton admitted to spying during training sessions at Oxford in December and at Ipswich in April, in addition to the Middlesbrough session.
All three incidents occurred after Tonda Eckert was named head coach in early December.
Middlesbrough had called for Southampton to be kicked out of the play-offs before the commission's hearing on Tuesday and accepted the news of their dismissal.
The club said the sanction “sends a clear message to the future of our game in terms of sporting integrity”.
On Wednesday afternoon, Boro started selling tickets to their fans for the play-off final against Hull on Saturday.
The EFL has confirmed that if those teams meet, the match will start at 3.30pm. If Southampton are reinstated on appeal, the match will be played at the scheduled time of 4.30pm.

EFL confirms finals play-off change opens door for Southampton Middlesbrough U-turn
There could be another twist in the story after the EFL announced a change to Saturday's play-off final.



